Sunday, June 24, 2012

Where in the World are Nancy and Virginia?!

First things first.  Our route has changed.  Originally we had a member of the group who very much wanted to see the Caribbean, particularly the Dominican Republic.  Unfortunately, this member had to drop out.  So Nancy and I sat down and talked about how we wanted to get to New Zealand.  We have decided that our route is to go from Irondale, Alabama to New Orleans, then cut over across Texas (watch out, Carol and Ashley!), take some time to see the Grand Canyon, and head on over to California.  I found this link to Google Maps Distance Calculator.  It's a lovely handy-dandy tool that lets you calculate over-land walking distances.  You can swap between map or satellite and get some great close-ups of where you have been.  You may expect to see a good bit more of this little application!

So over the past many weeks Nancy and I have been walking, Zumba'ing (Nancy, not me) and swimming our way west.  We did make a stop in Demopolis along the way, and said hello to the parents of our nephew's wife.  Hi, Scott and Patty! :) 

Today as I totaled our miles so far I discovered to my surprise and delight that we had made it to New Orleans!  Yay for us!!  Later this week I'll add some entries about the interesting things we discovered along the way, the places we shopped in NOLA and the lovely tea room where we had afternoon tea (Albertine's ~ the same place I went with my mother and grandmother in the mid-1980's).  So watch for pictures in a day or two.  In the meantime, let us know if you want to join us.  We'll be walking around the French Quarter and along the shores of Lake Ponchatrain.  See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment